Utility Deadline: Might 31st 2020
Since its inception in 2002, the Kurt Schork Memorial Fund has sought to help these journalists Kurt most admired, the freelancers and native reporters whose work is usually poorly paid, largely unsung and all too usually fraught with hazard.
At the moment, the three annual awards, for freelance and native journalism and, since 2017, for newsfixers, are acknowledged worldwide as a mark of excellence and have a longtime observe file for courageous reporting on battle, corruption and injustice.
The 19th annual name for awards is due to this fact now cut up into three classes:
- a Native Reporter award that acknowledges the usually over-looked work of journalists in growing nations or nations in transition who write about occasions of their homeland.
- a Freelance award for these journalists who journey to the world’s battle zones, often at nice private threat, to witness and report the influence and penalties of occasions.
- A Information Fixer awardrewarding native journalists and/or consultants, employed by a visiting overseas reporter or information group, whose steerage and native data materially benefited the content material, influence and attain of the tales submitted.
Every award is for $5,000 and can be introduced at a prestigious ceremony in London in late September 2020.
The deadline for entries is midnight (GMT) on Sunday, Might 31.
If you want to use, or make a nomination for the newly launched Information Fixer award, please go to the 2020 entry type web page which supplies definitions for every of the award classes and can information you thru the applying course of. Among the foremost element can be included under:
2020 Submission standards
- Three separate articles have to be submitted, together with when journalists are nominating fixers for the brand new award.
- The submitted articles will need to have been revealed between June 1, 2019 and Might 31, 2020.
- Accepted media: any print-based medium, similar to newspapers and magazines, or established on-line publications. Blogs, private web sites and social media pages or channels usually are not accepted.
- Articles can embody struggle reporting, human rights points, cross-border troubles, corruption or different controversial issues impacting on individuals’s lives. Judges can be on the lookout for professionalism, excessive journalistic requirements, and proof of dedication and braveness in acquiring the story.
- Due to issues with scanned entries and failed hyperlinks in earlier years, we require that every article be offered as a textual content file – MS Phrase (.doc or .docx) or related textual content format (.rtf), or a PDF of a textual content file.
- It’s possible you’ll provide a URL hyperlink to your article(s), or a scan (as a PDF or JPG file) as supporting proof of the publication context, however your entry can be disqualified if you don’t additionally submit the required textual content information.
- The awards panel will consider nominations for fixers who’ve acquired a couple of suggestion from journalists they’ve labored with.
Extra materials you should present:
- a CV or resumé about your schooling and journalism profession or about that of the fixer you’re nominating.
- a passport-quality photograph (JPEG, GIF or PNG file, dimension no bigger than 250Kb) of your self or that of the fixer you’re nominating.
- a excessive normal English translation if the unique articles usually are not in English.
- a brief assertion explaining what you needed to do to get the story.
Within the case of the fixer award, we require from the nominating journalist:
- A press release of nomination
- A duplicate of the story or tales generated due to the nominated fixer’s involvement
- A press release that the nominee is conscious that he/ or she is being nominated and has given permission for the nomination (or maybe the nomination for nameless if win). The awards panel will consider nominations for fixers who’ve acquired a couple of suggestion from journalists they’ve labored with.
- An acceptance from the nominator and nominee that they settle for the phrases of the competitors
- Two references
The utmost file dimension for textual content submissions or scans is 5Mb.
Entrants should full the on-line entry type (or a PDF for printing and posting if not doable).
For Extra Data:
Go to the Official Webpage of the 2020 Kurt Schork Memorial Fund Awards